Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Is Teresa Kok's Lawsuit against Utusan Justifiable?

From The Star Wednesday October 15, 2008

Utusan demands apology and retraction from Kok

KUALA LUMPUR: Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd has served on Seputeh MP Teresa Kok a letter demanding a full withdrawal and an apology for making defamatory statements about the Malay daily on Sept 22.

It also wants a retraction of the impugned statements by Teresa to the media publisher.

Kok was alleged to have said that the daily “memutar-belitkan” (twisted and distorted) her statements on the food she was served while being detained under the Internal Security Act.

The daily maintained that the defamatory statements about Utusan Malaysia were made on Sept 22 and arose out of statements she had made during her press conference three days earlier.

The alleged defamatory statements were published over national media and her own blog.

On Oct 9, Kok filed a RM30mil suit against Utusan Melayu (M) Bhd and the paper’s columnist Zaini Hassan over an article that allegedly defamed her.

__________________________
_________

Teresa is probably a victim of political assassination here. It would be really sad if she were to be 'killed off' politically.
Utusan is trying to plant the perception in people's head that she's 'anti-islam' and 'anti-malay'. As far as I know, she's a communitarian who championed everyone, including the Malay. She even went to Sabak Bernam and look after the farmers who were predominantly Malay. So, 'anti-Malay' is really out of the picture. I don't know about any 'anti-Islam' characteristic that she may hold. And I'm certainly not convinced that she's in any way Islamophobic.

Teresa has been one hardworking politician. Her tireless efforts in her days as opposition, protesting for the rights of the people has done Malaysian a lot of good things. If we lose her, it would be our 'loss'.

_____________________________________
However,
RM30mil suit???

Justifications:-

-To repair tarnished reputations done by Utusan
-In defense to the plotted character assassination by political rival who owns the paper.
-As a lesson for Utusan not to repeat their unethical writings and slanders against others too.
-To seek injunction from Utusan from further bad press on her.
-To 'kill off' Utusan

-RM30mil!!!!!!!!!!!!!MONEY MO MONEY!!!!!!
__________________________________
I think Teresa somehow overlooked on these justifications (especially to get RM30mil), that she had deluded into thinking that it's actually good politically to sue UTUSAN.

What about FREEDOM OF SPEECH and EXPRESSION????
Wasn't that what DAP has been fighting for????

Even if UTUSAN headlined "TERESA KOK AJAK KHALID IBRAHIM MAKAN BABI DI KEDAI BAHKUTEH"
and she did not, it's up to the people to judge. Really.....


I can say "you are gay!!!", but if you are not... just ignore me..

However... I know you would be pissed if the whole world thinks you're gay because I said so... But.. would you really sue me for RM30mil because I said you're gay??????


__________________________________

Now weigh this:

SUE UTUSAN TO PUNISH THEM FOR UNETHICAL PRESS -----vs------ FREEDOM OF SPEECH






....hmmmmmm......what would I advise Teresa??????hmmmmm








YES.... Sue UTUSAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the money first.
I think the justifications for suing them OUTWEIGHED leaving them alone.
She really need some reputation-damage repairs.... and the MONEY too...

No comments: