I've always wondered myself. A country that was formed a few decades ago after Sabah and Sarawak participated to gain independence whilst booting off Singapore, would arrived at at name called "MALAYSIA".
If you look carefully at the name MALAYSIA; it is consists of a component of English word MALAY with a fix of SIA to signify itself as an Asian country.
As a country who prioritized Bahasa Malaysia (previously known as Bahasa Melayu due to a vast majority who claimed that the language belongs to only one race), I find it quite awkward for this country to be known as MALAYSIA.
If I were in the government in the 60s, I would have pushed for this country to be named as Melayusia (to be pronounced Mer-Lar- You- Ci- Ya; while to be mispronounced by the Mat Salleh as Mail-Lay- Us-Yeah).
WHY>???
If the claim is true, and I'm in UMNO, Why would I still name a country in a British given name to Malay. Aren't the post-colonialist country like here should have a reference name on its own since we have our own national language.
Even UMNO is still in English- United Malays National Organization ;
and not Pertubuhan Kebangsaan Melayu Bersatu - PKMB.. or maybe PEKEMBE
What's wrong with creating an ideal name for a country or an organization name in the Lingua Franca of the country, Bahasa 'Malaysia' if UMNO ever claim that this country belongs to only one race. Can't UMNO at least name the country properly in a language that they are comfortable with?
Don't you think it's odd that our country is named MALAYSIA. And not MELAYUSIA; with my justification above. After all, there are the myth that exist previously that this country is named Tanah Melayu long before it was named MALAYA.
Well, there are reasons why this country is named MALAYSIA. Well, honestly, I'm not a historian, so I won't know. I'm guessing, the reasons may be;
-Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka forgot to propose a name to the ruling government at times.
-MALAYSIA was more comfortable amongst other world leaders as name for a country, and our politicians didn't bother to choose a name for themselves and allow these foreigners to pick a name for them.
-MALAYA need to be outphased for being irrelevant after forming a country with Sabah and Sarawak. Hence, they need to choose a name closer to MALAYA. By adding two letters SI.
-Bahasa Malaysia was not a Lingua Franca at that time.
-In a closed door name picking meeting amongst politicians from all racial-origins, someone got wasted and imagined that a he'll be meeting a beautiful girl somewhere and said "May I See Her" but mispronounced. After all, Scotch Whiskey was a popular drink in the 60s.
-Just some English politicians jokes to call this country with a name close to the word MALAISE, and the locals with no creativity in naming had accepted it blindly.
If I was a leader at that time, I would have chosen the name METALLICA with the following justifications;
-We were still producing some good metals back then (tin, iron)
-We need a strong name that symbolises industrial effectiveness. FDI will be pouring in non-stop if that's our name. Why not:
Factory address: Heavy Metal Pressing Sdn Bhd, Lot PT145, Jalan Sungai Besi, Sungai Besi, Selangor, METALLICA.
-It's hard to mispronounce this name.
-It's creatively named.
-After all, Malaysia is derived from English naming, why not choose another cooler English name for a country.
METALLICA...... How cool is that?
Someone ask, "Where are you from?"
I said "I'm from METALLICA !!!!!!"
and I give them the Metal sign.
YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE…. TQVM
6 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment